March 5, 2009
The Institute of Identity Research (IDmap) announces an international conference on Identity Politics on the Internet to be held in Kenya on the 27th to 29th of August 2009. The aim of the Conference is to create discourse in the area of Identity politics on the Internet and other related topics.
The Conference will be graced by several leading scholars who have written and researched extensively on issues of Identity. We hope that this conference will result in solutions and better understanding of the problems facing issues of identity in the contemporary context.
AN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE IDENTITY POLITICS ON THE INTERNET
August 27-29, 2009
Organized by Institute of Identity Research (IDmap)
Will be held in Amboseli Wildlife National Park, Kenya
Featured panel: Barack Obama’ Election and Kenyan politics of Identity:
Will he identify himself with the World or with his People?
• The Dead line for submission of the Abstracts is 01.05.2009 (200-500 words) in Word or PDF formats
• The Dead line for submission of full-text papers is 01.07.2009
Preliminary program of the Conference includes the following panels:
• Kenyan 2007 Presidential elections and the Internet
• Traditions and Identity in Kenyan politics: Barak Obama as a Luo
• Representative of Kenyan identity politics
• Facebook and Identity: do old ethnicity definitions still matter?
• World Identity politics: Case-studies and Comparative Analysis
• Parties and recruitment in the digital world
• Gender, ethnicity and empowerment: what is better to be a white man or a black woman?
• When religion comes to the Internet: the new ways to build and reinforce religious identity
• Government on the Internet: new ways to preserve Nation-state and its identity on the Net
• New English and E-Linguistic: jargon and vocabulary of Internet campaigns
Participants are welcomed to join the following working groups:
• Computers and identity
• Culture and identity
• Mathematical expressions of identity
• Internet and Politics
• Internet Vocabulary
Best Identity MA/PhD Thesis work award:
During the conference the Institute will award the best MA/PhD work submitted for the evaluation. The work should reveal an original and innovative approach in the field of Identity with its expression on the Internet. Information regarding submission procedure can be found on our site or through direct contact of our Administrators.